K & B 3.5 outboard questions

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K & B 3.5 outboard questions

Postby Ferrari » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi I have a K & B 3.5 outboard marine engine. I believe that it is an 8907 and that it was made between 1987 and 1989. It was run in fresh water but was never cleaned or run with after run oil. I have been completely redoing the boat the motor was attached to as well as the motor itself. The piston and cylinder seem fine but the bearings are COMPLETELY SHOT! I have completely disassembled the motor except for the following. (1) I cannot remove the flywheel from the crankshaft. I was able to remove the flywheel nut. (2) I cannot remove the PTO shaft or the PTO bearings from the PTO cover. (I would appreciate any suggestions for this problem.) I am also wondering if I wanted to increase the performance of the motors should I or could I replace the black carb with a different K & B carb and should I consider adding a muffler? I have been told by fellow hobbyists that I should consider adding a third and fourth channel for my motor. The first they say should be for a servo adjusted carb and the second to “power trim” the motor. Do you recommend either of these suggestions and if so do you sell anything that would help with this? One final question--I have spent the better part of 2 months repainting the tunnel hull boat that this motor is from. To that end the boat has become a bit of a “show” boat. What about having the exterior of the motor polished or chromed?
Ferrari

Postby jydracing » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:08 pm

Well to remove the flywheel use a battery terminal puller and tap on it when you get it tight. As far as the pto use a drift punch to drive the cam out, heat the pto housing to get the bearrings out. If a bearring is stuck on the cam it will be hard to remove but possable. as far as the radio is concerened you will need sterring, throttle, remote needle. As far as hopping it up add a tuned pipe, work on the port timming and engine porting. hope this helps jimmy
jydracing

Return to Marine Engine Topics