1991 K&B 11cc Boat motor, how to remove crank shaft

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

1991 K&B 11cc Boat motor, how to remove crank shaft

Postby Charlottedarter » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:51 pm

I have an old motor K&B 11cc inboard, I purchased around 1991...Started building a boat, then never finished. I'm trying to do that now. Its a 42" AeroMarine Challenger. The motor was started once, but never run. When I turn the crankshaft now...it feels like the bearings are not rolling properly. Its very clicky? Is that normal? I thought it was smoother when I bought it. I assumed with that much time, the bearings will need to be replaced, motor cleaned and lubricated prior to break-in. I was trying to remove the crank shaft, and it would not budge. A small piece broke off the light end of the counter-balance on the crankshaft. It will need to be replaced, but to do that...I need to know how to get the old one out? Can you point me in the right direction? It looks like I can order the part from your online store.
Help please?
Charlottedarter

Postby fnhaddo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm

It's boat engine. If it was run in water it probably got water in the lower end.If it was only run "once" it probably has the same problem. The bearings are rusty and shot. If the drive washer or flywheel is off (takes a puller to do that) and the shaft won't come out, it's rusted to the bearings. You can use a rawhide hammer or a piece of hardwood to tap on the threaded end and hope it comes out or better yet use a drill press or large vice to press the shaft out. Put a piece of wood between the back of the engine and vice.

Now as I think about it, this may have a two piece case and it's the front housing you are trying to get the shaft out of. Same method just leave the front end on the case.
fnhaddo

Return to Marine Engine Topics