Starting a 3.5cc outboard

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Starting a 3.5cc outboard

Postby boatfreak » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:38 pm

I have an early model 3.5cc outboard with a black carb, I bought it new in the late 80's and have never been able to get it started. Recently I've gotten back into modeling and have other inboard nitro boats with no problems but still can't start the outboard.

I have read the manual from Mecoa's site, verified it's turning in the correct direction, fuel is following and the glow plug is glowing.

It still feels like when it was new, good compression. Just never even hints like it's going to fire up.

Please help.
boatfreak

Postby SteveM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:44 am

You need an electric starter with the rubber nose cone like the ones used for model airplane engines to start the K&B 3.5cc outboard. Sullivan make nice ones. The outboard motors all spin clockwise so when you hook-up that electric starter you connect the red lead to the battery negative and the black to positive.

It's always best to have your boat and motor supported by a proper stand. Better again to have the skeg on the outboard in a slot or groove as well. Once you apply that starter, it puts torque on the motor and having the skeg supported takes the load off the steering cables/servo. You also need the glow clip with a 1.5v battery.
SteveM

Return to Marine Engine Topics