Operating Temperatures? and Break-in? on a K&B 3.5 Outbo

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Operating Temperatures? and Break-in? on a K&B 3.5 Outbo

Postby boogaloo_d » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 am

I'm new to 3.5 outboard tunnel hulls, and need a little help. I have 3 K&B's. Two of them are brand new 1 is used. I have not run the new ones yet, because I'm not sure about how hot to let it et during break in. I've read the FAQ's and they are a little spotty. How warm is warm? How long do you run it at that temp?. They also say to run it rich. Running it rich want let the engine warm up. Also running the engine rich can snap the connecting rod.

On my used engine after a full tank run you can touch the head with no problem? Is this ok. All the engines are water cooled. Any advice on these topics would be great thanks.
I have a IR heat gun, so temps would be the best.
boogaloo_d

Postby SteveM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:02 am

I assume you're breaking in the motors by running them on your boat on the water and not letting it sit in a stand. You should run it a bit rich for the first few tanks so that when your boat drives by you can visibly see the blue smoke from the burning oil in the fuel. As you progress, it's alright to lean the needle out and it really doesn't take too long to have the motor properly bedded in and ready to race. It's an ABC motor and the sleeve tapers toward TDC resulting in a tight fit. Motors can be hard to turn by hand but that's pretty standard. No idea on temps though as I never owned a proper gauge and did all my running the old school way.
SteveM

Return to Marine Engine Topics