Props for K&B 3.5 outboard engine.

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Props for K&B 3.5 outboard engine.

Postby eatherbreather » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

G'day there people! I was given :D an old looking K&B 3.5 outboard marine engine a while back. It is in it's box with instructions, decals (now useless) and the red foam insert (totally turned to dust, had to throw it away) and there was I thought two different sized props with it.

Now I can only find one, it appears that I have somehow lost the other one. Can anyone tell me what the correct sizes are and if/where I can get new ones?

The box is marked " K&B marine outboard engine No. 8382 3.5cc SII
outboard". The engine is serial numbered 0016698.

Also can anyone tell me what it might be worth? It appears to have been used but not abused. I also want to know what kits may still exist that would suit this engine or where I could find plans to scratch build a general purpose sports model.

Any and all suggestions welcomed! :)
eatherbreather

Postby SteveM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 am

Sounds like you may have one of the old original 3.5cc outboards. Does the motor have a short skeg? The older lower halves clamped the prop outdrive assembly where later versions were threaded.

The motors once included a silver coloured prop but that was all but useless. The Octura X series of props were very populay and the X437/3, X438, X440 and sometimes the X442 worked well. Prather also had their versions and if I remember the 215 was OK as well.

The following web link has some good info on props that you may find helpful.

http://www.funrcboats.com/prop_chart1.htm
SteveM

Postby eatherbreather » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks for the info! Normally I am normally much better organised as I hate losing (small) parts, seems I also managed to lose the instruction manual for this engine too :evil: . Anyone got a copy or know where I can get one?

Also any ideas on when this engine might have been made? It does appear to be the "short skeg" version having a bolted together lower portion and an exhaust throttle.
eatherbreather

Postby SteveM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 am

I believe the original 3.5cc outboard was first introduced in the late 70's and finding an original instruction sheet wil likely be difficult. The current instructions should give you some idea on maintenance and operation, except for the exhaust throttle of course.

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-og.pdf
SteveM

Postby eatherbreather » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:22 am

I guessed it might be as old as the 70's or 80's and that an original manual would be hard to find. A photocopy would do me just fine if anyone has or can get one.

Still can't find the other prop though. I was careful to bag the needle valve and tape up the splits in the original box many months ago but the prop and manual are nowhere to be seen. Why they aren't in the box like they should be I have no idea. Sometimes I really p*ss my self off :evil:

Thanks again for the prop info - I've had a bit of a look at it and will be making some purchases soon I expect.
eatherbreather

Return to Marine Engine Topics