need information about this engine please

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

need information about this engine please

Postby turqui » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I have this engine wich I got on a trade, its in very nice condition.
its a k&b and its a 40 size ; I have been doing a research and haven't find anything online, nothing like it, no details,no description, no specifications,no year of manufactured,not even a picture of another engine similar; any details you can tell me will be great; also how much could be the cost if I will like to sell it.
thanks.
Attachments
thumb-SAM_3750.jpg
thumb-SAM_3750.jpg (5.86 KiB) Viewed 14340 times
thumb-SAM_3743.jpg
thumb-SAM_3743.jpg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 14340 times
SAM_3742.jpg
SAM_3742.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 14340 times
turqui

Re: need information about this engine please

Postby ffkiwi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm

This is a bog standard K&B 40 cross flow engine in marine form from the late 60s or 1970s. Common as dirt-and utterly outclassed for any form of competition running these days. Produced in the tens if not hundreds of thousands (look at the number of digits in the serial number!) -so not especially collectible or valuable. In its day a good reliable sport motor-especially in aero R/C form. The only slightly unusual aspect to the one pictured is the very long venturi-which is not standard-and does not appear to be a K&B item. The exhaust baffle indicates that this is a fairly early example-and also that the venturi is not original, as the baffle is normally connected to the R/C throttle arm-and your engine doesn't have one. So-its not rare, and its not original...probably not what you wanted to hear..........as to dating-I'd hazard a guess as being early 70s vintange-the basic design was in production for many many years

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi

Postby gossie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 pm

They might be common Chris, easy and not expensive to buy but they do make a mighty lot of noise when fired up. On a 9 X 6 APC you can really feel them pulling hard before launch.
I have two of them, as the second one was such good value as a spare in case I blew the first one up, crashed it or lost it in a BIG thermal. As you can tell, I rather like them. Mine are the front induction version.

P.S. The marine version shown at a guess would bring $30.00 to $50.00 if someone wanted or needed it.
gossie

Postby ffkiwi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 pm

I have 4 of them myself Howard-two FR and two RR....but outclassed by an OS40RSR and HP40RR-both of which I also have..........
ffkiwi

Postby gossie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Just noticed one of my old 40s has numbers on the side as the marine version shown, but the new un run one I bought before Christmas has no numbers and the crankcase is not super smooth as the first one.....more like it's been sand cast.
Another thing I noticed on the newer one is that after taking off the back plate you can see a nice round hole in the side of the piston........Can't remember that hole in the engine that's in the model I built for it......Don't wish to take it out of the model to check.........Do yours have a hole in the piston Chris?..........Or perhaps that is a tuning mod. on later produced versions?
gossie

Postby ffkiwi » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Howard-I've just checked two of my RI ones (the FI ones are in models and I'm not going to dig them out)-both have the piston skirt ports (and matching ports in the liner). Now developing this theme a bit further-IIRC the first model was the series 67 which I'm pretty sure had a cast head, followed by the series 69, 70 and 71-all of which had minor detail changes-machined head, PTFE gudgeon pin pads etc. Somewhere along the line the design morphed into the model 4011 K&B 40-and in turn various derivatives. The 'metric' schneurle K&Bs emerged from 1972 onwards-but the crossflow 40 (and 61) remained in production alongside, once again going through minor detail changes-carbs, Perry pumps etc. Somewhere in this continuum K&B stopped (or their supplier stopped) shot blasting the crankcases-and they then appeared more silvery-but rougher surfaced.
Numbers I think came and went as a matter of company policy-all the early greenhead series seem to have them, and the 'schneurles'-but not all the mass production models such as the 40 and Sportster series......

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi

Postby gossie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks Chris. Your a mine of info.

How about a couple of pics of your 40 powered beasts somewhere on line............PLEASE.
gossie

Postby ffkiwi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm

OK-that can be arranged---I have three-a big Pearl, a HTL (ex Australian model as it turns out-there's a story there...) and a full VIT Pete Watson model built way back in 92 or still not fully trimmed-mainly due to the damn thing being so big (esp the fuselage) that it always gets passed over due to packing limitations...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi

Return to Marine Engine Topics