11CC OB Breaking flex shaft

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

11CC OB Breaking flex shaft

Postby Tom Rammel » Tue May 17, 2005 11:00 am

I bought a used 11cc outboard that had a broken flex shaft. I put a new shaft in it and started the engine. The prop stoped turning after a few seconds before I put the boat in the water. The new flex shaft was broken at the top below the square part of the shaft. I ordered a new shaft and teflon guide tube. These were installed and the new shaft broke at the same place seconds after the engine was started.

My question is what could cause the shaft to brake so quickly? The flywheel is smaller than what I am used to seeing, could this have something to do with the problem? I am turning the flywheel in the clockwise direction so the flex cable is turning the correct direction and that is not the problem. What else can cause a new cable to break so soon? Thank you for your help.
Tom Rammel

Postby MECOA » Tue May 17, 2005 9:38 pm

Small flywheel could be the problem. Fast revs will over stress the flex shaft. When there is a load on the prop (in the water) the fast reving is limited.

Bad prop shaft assy maybe, it may be binding.

When you buy used it's hard to know what could have been done by the previous owner.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions