K&B 6.5 wrist pin removal...

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Postby PaulGibeault » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:42 am

Gentlemen:

I have two K&B 6.5cc piston/sleeve rod assemblies in excellent condition that I would like to remove the con rod from. The problem being is that the wristpin refuses to budge!! Both are squeaky clean from an acetone bath, but even using dental picks on the inside of the wristpin, it will not come out. Your suggestions as always are greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.

Paul Gibeault (one of the last of the vintage K&B 6.5 users)
PaulGibeault

Postby MECOA » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:53 am

Is should slide right out. Try using the con rod by cocking to lock it on the pin and push it toward the direction you want the pin to move. Or a small sheet metal screw will sometimes work if you screw it lightly into the end of the wrist pin.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby PaulGibeault » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Tech Guys:

Thank-you for the info. I could not find a screw that would fit BUT you gave me the idea to use a small E-Z out screw extractor. That worked!
Evidently, tiny trace corrossion kept the wrist pins from moving. A bit of crocus cloth polished them all up for re-installation.

Next question: Some K&B's had various thickness aluminum wrist pin spacers...presumably to " top guide" or perhaps keep the piston centered?
I have several that measure between .025" - .045".
In light that the rear disc rotor "bottom guides" the con rod from moving for & aft....are these spacers necesary? If so, then what is the ideal spacing (clearance) between the spacer(s) & the inside of the piston wall.

As always, THANKS for your assistance.

Paul Gibeault

p.s do you have any of the K&B SR 2 & K&B SR 3 parts left in stock??
PaulGibeault

Postby MECOA » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:51 pm

The spacer were to keep the con rod from slipping back off the crank pin. Rarely used by anyone anymore. The only time this is really important is when the rear cover or has a cut out that the rod could slip off and into. Like how a wrist pin could slip out into a port if it didn't have a snap ring. Also if the rear rotor disc has a drive slot that could chew up the lower end of the rod. The spacers would keep it from slipping back.

Which engine are you looking for parts for?
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby PaulGibeault » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:13 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks kindly for the reply information.

Specifically, I'm looking for a crankcase block for the last K&B 6.5 SR 111.

Most all my cylinder liners have the "eyebrow" type of exhaust port.
( the port is widest at the top ) so I'd like the crankcase that was made to go with these these type of cylinders.

I'm also looking for a set of crankshaft bearings ( for the later type crank assy) that have the nylon ball separators.

I am also looking for crankcase paper gaskets & wrist pin teflon pads.

Thank you for taking the time out to search for these items.

Sincerely

Paul
PaulGibeault

Postby giffy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:22 pm

Paul, Boca Bearing has the polymite plastic cage bearings you're looking for. The cage is lighter than the K&B plastic cage.

The paper gaskets from the K&B 4011 or 4050 will fit the 6.5 front and back plates.

The wrist pin pad from the 4011 won't fit the 6.5 though.

Giffy 8)
giffy

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions