K & B 65 super sportster

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K & B 65 super sportster

Postby Ryon L. » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Bought this K & B 65 off ebay (for two much money)and it was a new engine (aren't they all). I broke it in per the instructions, but I must not have done a very good job. I have broken-in several engine of all make and never had a problem untell now. Any way, I put the engine on the test stand the other day, in preparation for installation on a PT-19, and could not get the thing to start-up. After about 15 flips I observed fuel and air bubbles exiting out the front bushing (Great!!!!! :x ). So I wiggled the prop and sure enough there is play in the front bushing. I checked the mecoa parts list for the 65 but dont see a number for a bushing. I did see the number for the crankcase though. Do you have to buy the whole case or can I buy just the bushing? This is the only K & B I have and I am not real fimiliar with these engines. I also had to buy a needle valve assembly recently (don't ask why) so I have a lot of money in this engine and hate to see it go to use as a paper weight.
Ryon L.

Postby MECOA » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:20 pm

It should have a little play and it will still run with a lot of play. The first thing that happens is it sprays fuel out the front while it is running.

If it doesn'r start I would suspect something else. I know you may have checked these thing but I'll mention anyway...

Weak or bad glow plug.

Flooded. Remove glow plug and flip it fast 10 times to remove any fuel in the crankcase.

Carb barrel 180 degrees out. Be sure to follow these instructions
http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/mixdisk/mixdisk.htm

last if you do need a new crankcase call Randy at 800-359-6972 I have some factory 2nd I will tell you about.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions