K&B Model No. 5100 Inboard Engine

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B Model No. 5100 Inboard Engine

Postby allen939 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:25 am

Folks, hi, I am a novice working on building a Deep Vee 60 boat using a K&B Model No. 5100 Inboard Engine. I have 3 very basic, simple questions that I could not find in the forums or in the manual that came with the engine. Most of the boat has been build and the engine mounted but there are things on the engine I can't figure out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
1) there are 6 water fittings... I am not sure how they interconnect. Is there a diagram you can send me?

2) I have a tuned pipe hose coupler for the motor but not the tuned pipe. Can you make a recommendation on the tuned pipe I would need?

3) I have a K&B needle valve for the engine but I am unsure how it hooks up to the engine. I see the gas line connector on the carborator. I assume I mount the needle valve on the hull. On the needle valve, there are to places to hook up hoses. I assume the silver end goes to the gas tank and the copper one feeds to the carborator. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions!
allen939

Postby lh7018 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:59 pm

This is what has worked for me:
1. I don't have a diagram but I'll do my best to explain the water hook up. From the water pickup on the boat to the bottom fitting on the exhaust, then out the bottom of the exhaust fitting on the other side to the top exhaust fitting, out the other side of the exhaust to the cylinder head, then out from the head to overboard. Try to make the outlet going overboard some place visible so you can make sure of waterflow while the boat is running.
2. Any of the available 11cc marine tuned pipes will work well on this engine (e.g. MACS, Prather). You may want to consider a muffled version to help silence the motor to keep neighbors happy. Start at a length of approximately 11.75"-12" from centerline of engine to apex (where the two cones meet) of pipe and work from there. You will also need to install a pressure tap in the pipe to pressurize your fuel system. A good place to do this is near the apex of the cones, give or take a 1/4".
3. You are correct about needle installation in the boat. Make it easily accessible. I run mine with fuel coming into (from the fuel tank) into the side pointing nipple on the needle valve, then to the engine from the bottom (inline with needle knob) nipple. It is also a good idea to install a fuel filter in the fuel line between the tank and needle valve. It doesn't take but a very minute piece of trash to give large headaches with a needle valve. Any of the readily available ones will work well (du-bro, sullivan, great planes, etc.).
Hope this helps.
lh7018

Postby MECOA » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:08 pm

MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions