Twister Head

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Twister Head

Postby Andy G » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:47 am

I have a .61 Twister head.
It seams to leak around the head and loose compression when the engine gets hot.
the head actually gets loose to the point you can loosen it with your hand when it is at running temp. I was wondering how much I dare tighten it when it is hot. I do not want to damage the thread.
I am using an 11X7 prop so I should not be overloading the engine and I am running it slightly rich as well.
After running it you have to wait 5-10mins for it to cool down and get enough compression to run again.
The engine pops right off when it is cool and runs very strong until you shut it down. It has a little bit of a tuff time idling. But it seems to be getting better as it gets run in. I also seems to four cycle a bit at 1/2 throttle as well when it gets warm. I am thinking this is due to the air leak messing with the fuel ratio.
I have about a half gallon of fuel thorugh the motor.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Andy
Andy G

Postby MECOA » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Just as stated in the owners guide sent with the engine and as posted in the owners guide section at www.mecoa.com

SCREW ON HEAD: The screw on head on your new 61 ABC engine has been torqued to 26 foot pounds at the factory. After you have run 2 to 3 gallons of fuel through the engine, check the head for tightness with the spanner wrench supplied. Check the head immediately after a flight so the engine will be at running temperature. Support your engine by firmly holding the prop and front of the engine so as to not break engine mount loose from the fire wall. NOTE: The head is installed at the factory with anti-seize compound. Before reinstalling head, make sure threads are clean and reapply anti-seize compound for aluminum (available at auto parts stores) to threads.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby jjscott » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:14 am

I just received my new K&B Twister and was reading through the instructions which indicate a head spanner is supplied. I didn't get one with my engine (invoice 28621), and I didn't get a reply to my email about it. Do I need to buy this, or was I supposed to get one?

Thanks, Jim
jjscott

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions