K&B conversion

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B conversion

Postby triple-a » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm building a P-38 and I wanted to know if it is possible to convert a K&B 40 to counter rotate as one enigne on the full size Lighting's does. The .40's I'm using look as though the cylinder body can be rotated 180 deg. which I assume would put the porting in the correct position but would I have to have a new crank made or could I use the old one. I'm I wasting my time on this???? :shock:
triple-a

Postby ffkiwi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I think what you're proposing is quite feasible if you rotate the front housing 90 degrees, which will alter the intake timing relative to bottom dead centre. I think the rotation of the housing is generally anti-clockwise-but wouldn't swear to it. The trick has been mention several times over the years in the magazines-generally as a means of getting engines to run clockwise in pushers-but the same principle should apply here. Try it out and see-it can't harm the engine, so if it doesn't run at one 90 degree position, move it 180 degrees to the opposite and try again. You may not get the same revs though turning clockwise-or rather that is frequently the case in a pusher set up-because the friction set up is different, but this might not be the case in a contra rotating set up.[/i]
ffkiwi

Postby triple-a » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks for the input ffkiwi. I've asked this question on other site forum's during the last 6 month's and your the first to reply. I'm glad you think it might work. I'm going to install a new set of bearing's before trying it just in case the old ones have a memory. I'll repost with an update if the beast doesn't blow apart on me. :wink: Keep your finger's crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!
triple-a

Postby MECOA » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:21 pm

You can rotate the ft hsg or do it the right way by ordering a 17-4011 as listed in our parts dept.

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=140

now you can have symetrical engines and turn the crankcase so the exhausts face the opposite directions.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions