Gaskets

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Gaskets

Postby joeabbott1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:59 pm

Since no one seems to have gaskets for a Torp 29S, where can I obtain gasket material of different thicknesses? The cylinder gasket is about .020-.025 thick, but the head gasket is much thinner, as is the backplate (.012-.014).
joeabbott1

Gaskets

Postby Ken McClenahan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:57 pm

I measured all of my stock of old unused asbestos composition gaskets and they all were about 0.018" thick plus or minus a little. This includes gaskets by K&B, Johnson, and McCoy. The Perfect gasket material also measured the same. The gaskets seem to compress down to about 0.010" when used based on measurements of used gaskets.

The asbestos cpmposition gaskets include some kind of adhesive because they stick to almost any material when pressure is applied.

I downloaded a copy of the now obsolete industry standard for asbstos composition gaskets (MIL A 7021C) but don't how relate it to any modern material covered by ASTM F104.

The real questions are: what is a suitable modern equivalent, what thickness should be used for an equivalent compressed thickness, and where can we obtain the material in the small quantities we need?
Ken McClenahan

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions