3.5 K&B Outboard nitro engine trouble...

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

3.5 K&B Outboard nitro engine trouble...

Postby hobbes_kgb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:05 am

Hi everyone. My grandfather recently endowed me with his old RC nitro boat with a 3.5 K&B Outboard nitro enigine. I've worked with nitro engines before but they were all brand new, and they weren't outboard boat engines. The problem is the whole thing is probably gunked up from sitting on a shelf for 20 years. I called HobbytownUSA and the guy there said to just soak the whole thing in nitro fuel overnight. I decided not to do that. I figured it wouldn't be good for all the parts that need to stay lubed on the engine, like the flex shaft and the prop. I decided to remove the upper engine section from the lower unit where the prop and the water inlet are. When I did this I discovered the flex shaft sticking out and noticed it was all greased up (this is when I decided not to soak it). I also noticed that when I tightened the bolts around the bearings that were now exposed, I could no longer turn the flywheel. So I loosened them until the flywheel was once again free to turn.

My questions are: What maintenence should I perform to get this thing back up to normal operating conditions? Should I soak any part of the engine in nitro fuel? Wouldn't that eat away at any grease or rubber tubing? Should I re-lube any parts of the engine, the carb? Should I be careful of any specific torque values for the bolts? Is the prop supposed to turn when I turn the flywheel in a clockwise direction? What if it doesn't? Should I just buy a new engine?

Thanks anyone that takes the time to read this. I hope to get this guy back in the water as soon as possible.
-Alex
hobbes_kgb

Bearing problems

Postby hobbes_kgb » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:04 pm

I decided to go ahead and disassemble the whole thing and replace the gaskets, bearings and anything else that is worn. I'm having trouble removing the bearings from the PTO assembly and the front head. I tried putting both in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 mins but that didn't help at all. Is there a bearing puller for these small nitro engines? Thanks
-Alex
hobbes_kgb

Postby MECOA » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:06 pm

getting the bearing off the pto is a major problem. We made a puller that actually fits into the ball groove of the inner race to pull it off. The bearing has to be disassembled of course.

I don't know what part the "front head" is so I can't tell you how to get it off.

Heat may help but it only works on aluminum parts to expand them more the the steel. Steel on steel expands the same so heat has no effect.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions