K & B 40 4011 - New Remote Needle Valve Causing Problems

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K & B 40 4011 - New Remote Needle Valve Causing Problems

Postby andernamen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Engine is running very erratically, tends to bog down (sometimes) when throttling up. Needle valve setting doesn't seem to affect problem. If staying at idle for a while, problem of bogging down at throttle up is worse. Tried to make another pass while landing my plane, so I gave it throttle. Bogging occurred and I had no power, so I crashed. Not too bad, but this problem is keeping me on the ground and I really want to get it solved. My carb doesn't have the small screw in the front as the diagrams show, does this affect it? Also, the new mixture disc for the remote needle valve has two holes instead of one. Not sure if any of this matters, but just want to make sure this won't affect anything. Could it be air leaking from needle valve? Thanks, Jim
andernamen

Postby MECOA » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:02 pm

First off check this...

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/debris/carbdebris.htm

also see if there are any bubble in the fuel line while the engine is running

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/fuel/tank.htm

if there are bubbles see if they originate from the tank or from the remote needle.

You say new remote needle? 985-001 (9255) or 985-002

also read this

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/mixdisk/mixdisk.htm

I would guess it is one of these 3 things. Debris in the spray bar, air leak or throttle barrel operating in the wrong direction.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby andernamen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:01 am

Yes, I looked at all of these things before I posted. I don't think it is debris because I took everything apart when installing the new mixture disk and new remote needle valve. I will pull the tank and check that also. The new remote needle valve was purchased from MECOA and looks identical to the one used by Tower Hobbies and O.S. engines. I believe it is part #99-9255. I am using Body and Barrel part # 81-5901 with mixture disc 85-5902. Are they compatible? Long story, but I bought the wrong mixture disc on line (originally had regular needle valve)and then called MECOA. The person I spoke with suggested since I had the mixture disc for the remote, to just get and install the remote needle.
andernamen

Postby MECOA » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:39 am

the 9255 remote needle is not like the tower or os. our 985-003 is.

Bogging is running too rich at idle but I don't know if you have the correct mixture disk. Does yours have one or two holes in the spray bar? It should only have one.

At this point without looking at the a carb we're at a dead end.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby andernamen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Okay, I'll take some photos and post. The new mixture disc has two holes, one round and one diamond shaped. The old one just has one. I originally just wanted to replace the mixture disc on the carb and I apparently ordered the one for carb with remote needle on the web site by mistake. I called MECOA to see if I could send it back and get the right part and the person I spoke to suggested I just get the remote needle valve. That is what I did, but it appears this option isn't going to work. Can I just return the new needle valve and new mixture disk? 30 days has expired, but I'd be willing to pay a re-stocking fee if that is okay. Thanks, Jim
andernamen

Postby MECOA » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:24 pm

What don't you send the carb and remote needle and let us look at it?
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby andernamen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:30 am

I've tried to post photos to help you, but I don't know how. I don't have internet space anywhere to host them. Please e-mail me at jereiter@juno.com and I will send them to you by e-mail. Where should I send all the parts and who should I address them to, Thanks, Jim
andernamen

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions