k&b 3.5 problems

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

k&b 3.5 problems

Postby mindstorm » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:44 pm

I have some question on what it happened today:

1) I have some problems to adjust the needle on my k&b 3.5cc OB engine; as far as of my knowledges on glow engines (and after a deep read of mecoa's FAQ) I know that if the engine deads when I full open the throttle, this means that I'm running lean.
Last time I tried to continuously unscrew the needle, but I wasn't able to get a correct setting. Even worst: the conrod broke.
I bought this engine as an used engine (not new) and I didn't examined it before to make it run, so maybe some air flowed from old gasket and my engine ran too lean even if unscrewing the main neddle. Now I replaced the conrod, the gaskets and checked piston+cylinder and all seems not having damage, but today, when I noticed the same problem as last time I stopped all and I preferred to ask here, before to get another breakage.
Now gaskets are new and no cracks on other parts (carburetor or tubes) are visible. What can be other reasons for this issue? (of course all the tests were made in the water)

2) Is there some difference in barrel direction? Now I connected it to the servo so that it begins to open from bottom to top of the venturi.

3) Should the barrel at minimun setting be full close or leave a little open? Is the hole on the side of the carburetor only for cleaning or is it also used for minimum run?
I ask this since when I fire up the engine it often takes many RPMs (my carburetor hasn't the "barrel stop crew").

4) I have some tollerance between the crackpin and the PTO shaft. How much should be?

Sorry for this multiple Qs, but I want to be able to **fully** enjoy my engine ASAP :wink:

Bye, Mind
mindstorm

Re: k&b 3.5 problems

Postby mindstorm » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:42 am

Possible that noone knows at least about the barrel direction?

CU
mindstorm

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions