K&B 35 RC engine

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B 35 RC engine

Postby oldrcav8r » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 pm

I got this on an old Sterling Ringmaster (Ring Master?) UKIE. It has the bolt on front housing like the .40 RC engines. The front bearing is smaller and the prop drive is different than either of the 40 RC K&Bs. It has an air bleed barrel carburetor that is held in by two grub screws like the 40's, but the carb spigot and thus the carb intake is smaller than the 40's. there are no provisions for either muffler or exhaust restrictor that was typical of early 40's. Any idea what model this is and what year(s) it was made. Is it a rare interim between the non-carb ukie/FF engines and the RC engines? What parts from it will interchange with the early 40 RC K&Bs? It has K&B in an oval and 35 on the side opposite the exhaust which is on the right side, unlike the 29 and 35 Greenhead Torpedos I have. I have photos, but i don't know how to get them in this message.
oldrcav8r

Postby Twanger » Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi av8r,
If this engine has the shiny silver case, it sounds like a K&B Series 75 .35 R/C. I am not sure what years they were built, but it looks late 60's /early 70's. They came in R/C and U/C versions. They are of the plain bearing type. I own three of these. To answer your question about parts interchange with .40's, I mated the crankcase, sleeve, piston and head from .35 to the whole front assembly including connecting rod from a #4011 R/C with ribbed carb. Perfect fit! For a muffler, I installed a Tatone 306 strap-on.
The only weakness in the engine is the fact that the .35 piston had no brass bushing in the wrist pin holes. (Are you reading this R&D guys?!?!) :idea: I LOVE this engine!! The ball bearings and big carb gives it such smooth performance. The stock engine with the Perry carb is pretty awesome too! I hope they will make a .35 piston with brass bushings some day.--Twanger :idea: :!:
Twanger

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions