Veco 61 - control line conversion

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Veco 61 - control line conversion

Postby colinw » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:30 pm

I have an old Model 6525 Veco 61, which I wish to convert to Control Line use. This seems to be too old to have a parts listing on www.mecoa.com.

Does anyone know if the C/L venturi from a newer K&B 61 (eg., 81-6151 CONTROL LINE VENTURI K&B 61) is suitable? I suspect not.

I'm prepared to use the engine with the throttle fixed to full (or whatever setting suits my model best), but would prefer to ditch the R/C carby and go to a conventional C/L venturi setup.

cheers,
Colin
Brisbane, Australia
colinw

Postby MECOA » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:34 am

The new venturi will work but... The new CL .61 has the sides of the inlet on the crankcase milled down to accommodate the spraybar. It goes thru the screw holes that were for mounting the carb. and it is wider than the spraybar.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby colinw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:44 pm

MECOA wrote:The new venturi will work but... The new CL .61 has the sides of the inlet on the crankcase milled down to accommodate the spraybar. It goes thru the screw holes that were for mounting the carb. and it is wider than the spraybar.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, so I can use a current venturi & spraybar, but will have to drill out the sides of the inlet?

cheers,
Colin
colinw

Postby MECOA » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am

You actually have to mill the sides down.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby colinw » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 pm

Ok, thanks.

Was the model 6525 Veco 61 manufactured in a control line variant? If it was, it sounds like it would be easier to track down an original venturi, spraybar and needle valve.

As a last resort I can have the crankcase milled for the new venturi assembly, or just use it with the throttle fixed.
colinw

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions