Now What?

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Now What?

Postby wrdude » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Alright i just mounted my 3.5ob onto my new topspeed 2. Was running great when i lost signal and beached it. Seems i've sucked dirt but the piston and sleeveve are unscathed. Motor doesn't want to run and has no compression. What do i check for now?
wrdude

Postby MECOA » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Something is bad. Did you check the glow plug stem to see if it's leaking?

You can also remove the engine from the lower end and spray some WD40 in the exhaust port. Now turning the engine over you may be able to see bubbles where the compression is leaking from.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby wrdude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:42 am

Ok, I checked the piston and cylinder again and it seems the cylinder is oversized. i cannot see any scoring but i have another motor and tried that piston in the cylinder and it to is sloppy.both pistons measure the same but the one cylinder is obviously enlarged. The crank and inside of the front housing are scored so i assume that will need to be replaced? What else should i check as far as bearings? They feel pretty good but i don't want to replace crank and housing piston and sleeve only to have a bearing take the motor out again.
wrdude

Postby MECOA » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Usually the crank is ok and can be cleaned up, the ft hsg will need to be replaced.

As for pistons, it is really hard to measure to see if they are the same. We grind and match to .00005" (50 millionths of an inch)

As for the bearing check the play in them. You can insert the crank and see how much the outer cage can move front to back. Possibly compare it to a known new or good bearing.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions