K & B outboard model #B0003611 -what is it? Gasket q's 2

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K & B outboard model #B0003611 -what is it? Gasket q's 2

Postby talonracn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:52 pm

Hello,

I just bought a K & B outboard, and I am trying to get it up and running.

#1 I dont really know what it is -- looks like an 11cc one, but it appears that the 11 looks like the 13 also

#2 Is there a base gasket that goes between the lower unit and the engine/exhaust?

#3 How do I unfreeze the throttle (without breaking it) -- it is currently stuck. This is the actual carb parts -- it is unhooked from the servo.

#4 What would you do if your engine had not been run in a year or two?

Thanks for the help!
talonracn

Postby MECOA » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Thanks for helping him SteveM

Also it helps to heat up the carb too.
MECOA
Site Admin

First time trying to start -- how do I set the mixture, etc.

Postby talonracn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 pm

I can set the idle pretty easily, but what about the mixture -- I dont want to run it too lean and mess anything up.

Is there such thing as a safe starting setting? I just dont have the manual and dont know where else to look.

Thanks again for helping a newB
talonracn

Postby SteveM » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:55 am

The K&B .67 outboard owner guide is available online at http://www.mecoa.com/kb/67/5101.htm and I have copied the basics below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The carburetor enables easy adjustment of the idle speed, idle mixture and the high speed mixture.

1. High Speed Needle Valve

Locate an area to install the Remote Needle Valve assembly using the bracket provided. This may typically be attached to the firewall, cowl or rear engine mount lug area. This assembly must be in the fuel line between the tank and the carburetor. The line should not exceed five (5) inches in total length.

2. High Speed Needle Valve Adjustment

This needle valve, located on the Remote Needle Valve Assembly, controls all the fuel that comes to the engine, whether the engine is running at high, mid-range, or idle speeds. It does not affect the low speed rich/lean setting. The High Speed Needle Valve’s main function, however, is to meter the high-speed fuel mixture.

As a starting point for the High Speed Needle Adjustment, completely close the needle valve (clockwise), then open it (counterclockwise) three and a half turns. This setting is an average and may require further adjustments. For higher altitudes (3,000 - 4,000 feet), close the needle valve approximately 1/2 turn.

3. Low Speed and Mid-Range Adjustment

The rich/lean adjustment is controlled by the brass low speed disk located on the side of the carburetor. Using the allen wrench provided turn the disc clockwise to “lean” the mixture and counterclockwise to “richen” the mixture. The rich/lean mixture control is set at the factory and may require only a fine adjustment for your application. WARNING: DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE AT A “LEAN” SETTING.
SteveM

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions