Sportster 65 help.

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Sportster 65 help.

Postby perpetualrepair » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:41 pm

just obtained the motor cheap was going to use it in a float SIG Kadet Senior.
It starts OK and will idle for a while and like most 2 strokes drowns itself, transition to high revs is rough at best and when it revs it does so for only a couple of seconds then dies, have taken the carb to pieces and reassembled as per the instructions but it still won't work properly, where do i start trouble shooting this, seems to have plenty of fuel,good spark?. i'm confused.
perpetualrepair

Postby MECOA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am

The spray bar and inner tube could be worn so it is not sealing when the barrel closes.

If you read everything here that's all I can think of.

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/mixdisk/mixdisk.htm
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby perpetualrepair » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:53 pm

MECOA wrote:The spray bar and inner tube could be worn so it is not sealing when the barrel closes.

If you read everything here that's all I can think of.

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/mixdisk/mixdisk.htm

the engine has only had about three tanks of fuel through it, to all intents and purposes it is new, the person who had it before is quite knowledgeable and described how he ran it in to me and it was as per the book. I have noticed that the outer bar is facing towards the front of the engine, i will attempt to realign it to face down into the venturi, and hope that makes a difference?.
perpetualrepair

no change

Postby perpetualrepair » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:13 pm

That didn't make a bit of difference, beginning to wonder if all the bad things i have heard about these motors are true. there has to be someone on here who has a better idea of what is happening here, the way the thing changes it is almost like the needle is bent, but its a new motor , guess that is what you get for buying a mini when you rcould have had a Rolls Royce.
perpetualrepair

Postby MECOA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 am

First of all don't blame the engine for your lack of knowlege. BTW Glow engines do not have "spark"

This engine doesn't have a problem in design. I realize your frustration when you are working on something that may be beyond your mechanical ability to understand.

If the engine is drowning itself in fuel your carb adjustments are just not correct. You have to place the mixture disk in the netural position, center of adjustment. Then adjust the high speed needle.

read this and try again
http://www.mecoa.com/faq/carb/pdf/CARB1_2.pdf
MECOA
Site Admin

thankyou

Postby perpetualrepair » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 am

first i feel i have to thank you for pointing out my obvious lack of knowledge,
secondly I have been dealing with glow , four stroke and diesel motors since i was fifteen years old, i am now almost sixty, if that is ignorance where does that put you,?.
I am only trying to get some idea of the problem i am having with this motor, from posts that i have read on here and on some of the other web sites and forums I am not alone in my frustration with this engine brand,
To have a good economy engine is a great thing, but economy with problems such as i am having is unacceptable.
then to get the inference that i am unknowledgeable about said matter , when you don't even know my name is insulting,
Clean your act up and give help rather than criticism and your engine will be better thiught of,
perpetualrepair

Postby nikobel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Dear perpetualrepair,
I have the experience of three 65 Sportsters (mine and friends') and here's my two bits:
The engine's carburation is... finicky at best. Carb/Case joint must be sealed with additional o-ring or high temp silicon. Lots of care when adjusting high/low needles in carb. Adjustments are quite sensitive to temp/humidity changes too.
Depending on fuel tank and lines setup you may need to remove exhaust pressure from tank. They seem to run better without pressure but then again they tend to starve in high G maneuvers.
Also, check the piston to make sure that the plating on it has not peeled. Depending on break-in procedure this can happen.
Best fuels are 5% nitro and synthetic/castor oil mix. High nitro will cause pre-detonation and lots of vibrations.
Be patient with this engine, once you get the proper setup you will be very pleased with it. Mine have burned a million gallons of fuel on a Stick and a Decathlon and they perform reliably, but only after they gave me a hard time to figure them out...
nikobel

Postby MECOA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks for the input nikobel.

A little note about the 2 o-rings on carb neck. Usually air leakage is from the draw bar. As long as the o-ring is seated you shouldn't need 2. A little clear silicone on the draw bar ends will fix any leaks. Haven't had much of a problem with this on the engines we make here. The GMS we sold had a big issue with loose fit on the draw bars and we siliconed them here.

BTW I don't like people poopooing something like perpetualrepair did. I basicly give up on helping someone that has already got it in their mind that it won't work. As for the modeling for 45 years... Well I've been making engines for 30 years ant the standard line I have heard since day one is "I been modeling for 50 years and am the President of 2 local clubs" I have always wondered with all this experience why they would even have to call for help. :)
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby perpetualrepair » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 pm

MECOA wrote:Thanks for the input nikobel.

A little note about the 2 o-rings on carb neck. Usually air leakage is from the draw bar. As long as the o-ring is seated you shouldn't need 2. A little clear silicone on the draw bar ends will fix any leaks. Haven't had much of a problem with this on the engines we make here. The GMS we sold had a big issue with loose fit on the draw bars and we siliconed them here.

BTW I don't like people poopooing something like perpetualrepair did. I basicly give up on helping someone that has already got it in their mind that it won't work. As for the modeling for 45 years... Well I've been making engines for 30 years ant the standard line I have heard since day one is "I been modeling for 50 years and am the President of 2 local clubs" I have always wondered with all this experience why they would even have to call for help. :)

Thanks for the input Nicobel. have implemented your suggestions and now have an engine that at least runs moderately well, with some hope that it will eventually become another trusted power source,
as far as the other person is concerned, mecoa i believe was his/her persona, maybe you should take a leaf from Nicobels book and give useful information rather than just scathing remarks totally unsuited to the name, you perport to represent, as far as i am concerned you are typical of the know it all know nothing cretins who short circuit the dissemination of useful information by the imposition of their own verbal egos,
in short my friend you are a PRAT.
perpetualrepair

Postby Aaron_Novak » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:59 pm

Wouldnt it be right to assume the person BUILDING the engines knows more about the product then the guy in the field?

I work at a company building large engines, and from my experience, the know nothings are more then likely the customer having problems.

I feel the frustration of the mfg. who has to answer basic questions all day long. Especially when the answers are already in print.
Aaron_Novak

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions