K&B .67 Inboard: Bearing direction & intake disc ins

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B .67 Inboard: Bearing direction & intake disc ins

Postby Charlottedarter » Tue May 20, 2008 1:12 pm

I have an old style .67 inboard K&B Marine engine. On reassembly, does it matter which direction the bearings face on installation? Should the open side of the carriage face the crank case for both, or either?

I've assebled the internals, and when I tighten the back plate, it binds the crank shaft, and it doesn't turn freely. it doesn't feel like anything is touching inside, but the bearings, but is very stiff, and difficult to turn. Did I miss something when I reassembled?

Both bearing carriages are facing out toward the flywheel, leaving the exposed bearing side open to the inside for lubrication. I have the correct side of the con rod (the chamfered side) facing the crank shaft. I can't figure out what is causing the bind.
Charlottedarter

Postby MECOA » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

We will usually put the retainer on the small bearing the eay you mention. The large internal bearing does not matter.

Did you replace the crankshaft or anything else?
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby Charlottedarter » Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Yes...replaced the crank shaft, the inner bearing was not fully seated...I dissassembled, and repressed the bearing and reassembled...looks like its free'd up. I am having difficulty getting the flywheel to seat on the end of the crank shaft though. Is there a trick to it?
Charlottedarter

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions