K&B 3.5 Outboard Problems

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B 3.5 Outboard Problems

Postby bradk » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Due to my grandfather passing away a while ago, I inherited most of his RC gear including a RC boat along with some planes. The boat has a 3.5 K&B outboard fitted to it and lately I decided get it going again. Now I'm relatively new to the modeling scene but I do understand the basics of how the engines work (I got the model plane's going!) but I cannot get this outboard to run.

The engine has very good compression(in comparison to the other engines I have that run fine). I have cleaned out the carb and tried every possible needle setting but the engine just will not run. The fuel tank has new pipe fitted and holds pressure well. The only way I can get some ignition is by squirting some fuel directly into the carb but it dies almost instantly after starting. Although before squirting some extra fuel in, fuel can be seen coming out the exhaust unburnt. Any idea's on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

I have no idea how old this engine is as it was apparently bought second hand already mounted the boat.

Thanks
bradk

Postby SteveM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:59 am

Make sure that when using your electric starter to reverse the leads going to the 12V battery. The K&B outboards spin clockwise which is opposite to what you use for airplane motors. Use a fuel with 25% nitro, I like the Byron fuel personally, make sure you have a good or new glow plug and try again.
SteveM

Postby bradk » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 pm

SteveM wrote:Make sure that when using your electric starter to reverse the leads going to the 12V battery. The K&B outboards spin clockwise which is opposite to what you use for airplane motors. Use a fuel with 25% nitro, I like the Byron fuel personally, make sure you have a good or new glow plug and try again.

Yes it is spinning in the correct direction. The fuel I bought was from the local toy store (which has a very small hobby section) and all it has is 5% written on it. I assume that's bad? the glow plug has been replaced also and is glowing when hooked up to the battery.
bradk

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions