OLD K&B 7.5, ~8702 mod, tore down, crank frzn, now what

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

OLD K&B 7.5, ~8702 mod, tore down, crank frzn, now what

Postby frd1952 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 am

OK, took the motor apart and was pleasantly surprised to find grease and oil in most spots...like drive shaft/lower unit, piston/cylinder. However, I can not get the crank to turn. I have it just in the crank housing, with carb off. Soaked in gas overnite, now have it doused in Liquid Wrench. I believe it should turn pretty freely by putting in the threaded shaft for the starter cone/flywheel and turning it there, or by turning it from the bottom with the pin that goes into the back of the piston...correct? Should I be able to knock the entire crank shaft assy out of the housing and thru the bearing at the top, how ? Can I try vice grips or something to turn the crank and if so grab it by the threaded shaft on top (where the cone attaches) , or by the pin on the bottom that goes into the back of the piston ?Neither place can I budge it at all...does look a little rusty/dirty espec when I look close up at the pictures of the inside...see pics. Any ideas on how to free this crank up, assuming it should spin/turn pretty freely ? I have the old model, per the spec sheet, with the set screws that held the carb in the carb body throat (now all removed). Piston moves in the cylinder nicely and some lube in there, and drive shaft well lubed and looks in good shape. Ideas on the crank welcomed...My crank does NOT look exactly like the one in the spec sheet (surely mine is older), and on the bottom has another spacer or bearing and the pin that grabs the piston looks like it is pressed in vs. the spec sheet model, but pretty similar....PICTURES ARE AT >> http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... =161727161 ...thanks. F
frd1952

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions