ALWAYS FLOODED

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

ALWAYS FLOODED

Postby ROADKILLD » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:46 am

HELLO,I HAVE AN OLD K&B .45 MARINE IB W/RED CARBURETOR; I AM ALWAYS HAVING ALOT OF DIFFICULTY STARTING THIS ENGINE BECAUSE FUEL IS ALWAYS RUNNING OUT OF THE FRONT OF THE CARBURETOR,AND THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THAT IS IF I COMPLETELY CLOSE THE NEEDLE VALVE. THE FUEL TANK IS POSITONED SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN THE ENGINE,AND I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS POSSIBLY A SIPHONING EFFECT OF SOME SORT,AND IF THERE IS A WAY OF CORRECTING THIS WITHOUT RAISING THE ENGINE OR LOWERING THE TANK?---THANX !!!!!!!
ROADKILLD

Postby lh7018 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:03 am

Based on your description it sounds like the fuel is siphoning. This is a relatively common occurence with boats since some boat hulls' configurations won't allow the tank to be mounted below the engine. The siphoning is not a fault of the engine or carburetor. Do not try and adjust the carburetor needles to compensate for this or the engine will be too lean when on the water. There's a couple things you can do. There are small plastic line pinching devices which attach to the fuel line (and stay attached). You close or open them with the press of a small tab. These work well as long as you remember to open the fuel line once the engine is started. The other way, and you'll see thhis a lot at races, is to use a pair of the small plastic hobby type locking forceps to pinch the line. They're big enough to see that you shouldn't forget to unclamp them. The metal ones will work also but after a while the teeth in the jaws may put a pinhole in the tubing. Any of the above will work well. Pinch only the line to the engine, leave the vent line open to allow for fuel expansion with heat. If you can, it may also help to elevate the rear of the boat stand or table when starting although this is not always necessary. Hope this helps.
lh7018

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions