Rotating Head on K&B engines

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Rotating Head on K&B engines

Postby RC Pilot » Tue May 12, 2009 9:43 pm

I have been told only K&B Sportster engines can have the head/cylinder rotated to put the exhaust in a different location. That would be a BIG advantage on a twin engine airframe.,,that is, both heads outboard with exhausts down.
1. How does one do that?
2. Can other engines be changed?
3.Can K&B engines be reverse-rotation engines?
:?: :roll: Thanks
RC Pilot

Postby SteveM » Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 am

You'll need to loosen the four main bolts that hold the head and upper cylinder to the lower case and then simply lift gently and rotate to reposition the exhaust. You would need a reverse rotation crankshaft if you wanted a reverse rotation motor but I don't recall one ever being produced.
SteveM

Rotating head on K&B engines

Postby RC Pilot » Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Cool, I can do that..does it apply only to 'NEW' engines? I presume this is not good for used engines. Only K&B engines will do this? Or only the Sportster series? Thanks.
RC Pilot

Re: Rotating head on K&B engines

Postby SteveM » Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 am

RC Pilot wrote:Cool, I can do that..does it apply only to 'NEW' engines? I presume this is not good for used engines. Only K&B engines will do this? Or only the Sportster series? Thanks.

I understand that it's best to make the change prior to running and breaking-in the motor. This works only with the Sportster motors.
SteveM

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions