K&B mimlitary engine ID

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B mimlitary engine ID

Postby arellbee51 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 am

Hello, new to this forum but seems to be the one to answer my question. I've got a few K&B aircraft engines that I can't ID. These were used by the US Army for their Remote Controlled Miniture Arial Targets (RCMAT) FQM-117B. The only markings on them are: K&B on the side of the engine and made in usa on the other side. Also K&B on the front of the carb.
Thanks for any information.
Raymond
can't figure out how to post pics
arellbee51

Postby chiefss » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 pm

RCMAT stood for Radio Controlled Model Airplane Target. I flew with an Air Force guy who flew these at Fort Lewis, Washington. I have pictures of an engine that was hit by a 20MM round. Sort of ruined it.

The original RCMATs were big foam deltas. Came two to a box with an R&S radio and K&B61 engine. Later RCMATs were made by Goldberg and were Mig27 Floggers. Big Foamies. They used the K&B Sporster 65.

The K&B 61 was/is a ball bearing engine and has it's displacement on the crankcase. The 65 has no markings at all. The 61 which was the original VECO 61 is a much better engine and cost more.

HB's were also used on the Deltas way back when. There was an article about RCMATs in RCM many years ago.
chiefss

military engines

Postby arellbee51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for the info. The engines I have are probably the 65 model as they came packaged with the F-16 version of the RCMAT which came after the Mig -27. We used the Mig-27 planes as targets when I was an instructor for Stinger missiles at Ft. Bliss in the early 90's. And again thanks for the info.
arellbee51

Postby chiefss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Our pal Sgt Major Smokey is buried in the Ft Bliss cemetery. At least he was in 1969 when I stopped there. he was a dog.

Shooting at those things was a hoot. Flying them against ground troops was a bigger hoot.
chiefss

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions