K&B 0.40 engine (4011) very hard to start

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

K&B 0.40 engine (4011) very hard to start

Postby Mauricio2346 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi folks. about a year ago bought a K&B 0.40 4011 engine (serial number #0041151). this one is ringed, so this is my first ringed engine (have also a ASP 15, Norvel 0.061 and Cox 0.049 engines). after preparing the engine and reading all instructions, tried to start the engine for breaking in. engine runs were richer than normal (on 5% nitro fuel with #8 OS glowplug.)

i leave the engine on a box (with after run oil and closed carb) since yesterday. after a little cleaning, tried to start it. the engine tended to get flooded. the engine did make pop noises on attempts (trying to start), but everytime i'd to remove the plug and remove excess of fuel. after 2 hours, the engine started but for just about 5 seconds and then stoped. checked fuel tank height (little under HSN level), also fuel tank pressure (OK), muffler pressure (OK), glowplug (a new OS #8), fresh 5% nitro fuel, all cleaned carb (removed HSN and LSN and cleaned), tight propeller, plug igniter OK (bright orange plug glowing). no puncture on fuel lines, sealed carb neck with teflon, also a little teflon on the HSN and carb bolts. checked for air leaks on crankcase (nothing). added a teflon washer on muffler. cylinder head tight on star pattern, tight glowplug.

thinking about all issues with this engine, i removed the muffler and tried again. the engine started easily, running on the rich side as intended on instructions. i'm a little corncerned about this engine. almost 6 hours of fighting to realize that works fine without muffler.

what can i do? should i break in this engine without muffler?. how can prevent this engine to flooding?

this engine is already freaking me out, but RC modelers think that this engine is more powerfull than some others, and reliable. i would like to experience that.

Regards;

Mauricio
Mauricio2346

Postby MECOA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

Is this the stock muffler? Too much back pressure. I have guys that add crap to the outlet of the stock muffler and have the same result.

Piston ring could be stuck in the groove.

Read this
http://www.mecoa.com/faq/rings/unstick.htm
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby Mauricio2346 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi. yeah, is the stock muffler. do you think that stock muffler creates to much pressure for tank? the muffler is cleaned and there's no scrap on pressure lines. piston ring doesn't have any alignment pin on piston, and feels loose (no stuck) on piston groove.

fuel line size can cause that problem?
Thank you so much;
Mauricio2346

Postby MECOA » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:12 pm

It should be fine. Try running it some more. They have to be flipped quickly for the ring to activate. The dykes ring needs pressure to expand.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions