Older K&B 3.5 Outboard with Exhaust throttle

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

Older K&B 3.5 Outboard with Exhaust throttle

Postby JHUnter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I have a K&B 8382 NOS engine with an exhaust throttle. I would like to go to a carb instead of the exhaust thro. Removing the venturi and measuring the throat I have a dim of .434 to .436, venture depth was .350 and the venture throat dia is .334. This points to the red carb but I have seen posts that say the black carb is better, I am not a racer, just want reliable running. Which carb should I buy? Also I assume I need some muffler pressure to the tank so installing a pressure tap into the right side of the lower unit into the exhaust stream ok? And a way to block open the exhaust baflle, or is it best just to remove it? And if I remove it should I fill the gap on the sides or just leave it? Thanks in advance for your help. BTW I did start it and it seems to run fine, just want a carb.
JHUnter

Re: Older K&B 3.5 Outboard with Exhaust throttle

Postby JHUnter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Talked to Mecoa Tech Svc and the gold carb is what I need, .437 throat. Also OK to remove the brass baffle for the exhaust thro and JB weld up the slots, added a muffler pressure tap and I should be good to go.
JHUnter

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions