.40 ABC #4060 rear intake set-up???

All outboard, inboard and aero questions answered here.
ALSO Veco, Torpedo, Fury, & Stallion

Moderator: SteveM

.40 ABC #4060 rear intake set-up???

Postby Cryhavoc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:59 am

I recently picked up another .40 #4060 ABC. I LOVE these engines. The other day I was looking through my collection and came across a couple of older rear intake Torpedo .40s. One of them was pretty used. The exhaust had been shaved down so I was thinking I would replace out the crankcase and maybe a new ring that I have for it. I think you can guess where I'm going with this. Could I put the Torpedo front & rear housing/crankshaft assembly on the #4060 ABC crankcase assembly???

Provided this will all fit together would it gain anything with the rear intake set-up or would I just have a blah odd duck engine?

Thanks,
Mike
Cryhavoc

Re: .40 ABC #4060 rear intake set-up???

Postby Cryhavoc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:50 pm

So I couldn't stand wondering anymore so I took the engines apart. The Torpedo RR front and back housings fit perfectly! But, the RR disk valve and crank have a slight recess in them for the lower end of the rod. The RR rod is a typical old style cast type flat bar with two cylinders on either end. The ABC rod is a round bar with bearings on the ends that are machined flat on two sides. As far as I can tell, the center-center length for the wrist pin and crankshaft are the same. So, you would think, just use the RR rod. However, the top is too wide to fit in the ABC piston. So the choice is, machine a little off either side of the RR rod top end, or machine a relief on the ABC rod lower end.... The ABC rod seems heavier and stouter but the RR rod would be easier to fix and is lighter. So, still deciding what to do but it looks like its going work. Just not sure if it'll be worth it as I've not heard back from MECOA about this.

Oh, and my engine is #4050 ABC with the tuned muffler.

Mike
Cryhavoc

Postby MECOA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:53 am

The ABC crankcase is unique to itself. Any other crankcase will not fit. The ABC sleeve has a larger diameter than the steel ringed sleeve.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby Cryhavoc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am

MECOA wrote:The ABC crankcase is unique to itself. Any other crankcase will not fit. The ABC sleeve has a larger diameter than the steel ringed sleeve.

I guess you misinterpreted the gist of my posts. So I'm including a picture of what I'm talking about.

The ABC crankcase,piston, sleeve and head stay as one unit. But the Torpedo Rear Intake parts DO bolt up to the ABC Crankcase.

Mike
Attachments
2016-02-25 ABC_rear intake mod_smallpic.jpg
Torpedo rear intake Front and rear housings bolted to #4050 ABC Crankcase,sleeve,piston,head.
2016-02-25 ABC_rear intake mod_smallpic.jpg (247.4 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
Cryhavoc

Postby MECOA » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:35 am

Yes they should fit.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to K&B Mfg. Engine Tech Questions