Fuji/Toki .05 Aero

Ask your tech questions about MECOA engines here

Moderator: SteveM

Fuji/Toki .05 Aero

Postby mjd » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am

I'll bet nobody has asked you yet (right..) but do you have any performance data for these new engines? Various 1/2A forums are a-buzz with the news of it's arrival and folks are anxious, but many are hesitant to step up without knowing something about it. Anything such as peak rpm on a known prop or two, that sort of thing.

Thx,

Mike Dennett
mjd

Postby digital_trucker » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 pm

I just got my order for two of the black Toki 05's. My first impressions are as follows;

It's a beautiful engine, but it has some serious shortcomings for aircraft use. The crankcase need a redesign, there's more meat to it than required for flight. The head is oversize, could be much smaller and lighter. The carb is MASSSIVELY overdone, way to big for the purpose. It needs a turbo plug instead of the standard short plug (better performance). Finally, and perhaps the biggest issue of all - there is ZERO piston-to-liner 'pinch'.

On the plus side, it has a bolt-on muffler that seems to be quite lightweight. Excellent job there.

Summation: it's a beautiful engine, and it has potential, but for aircraft use it needs a complete redesign. I haven't run it yet, so I have no performance data..based on my preliminary examination though, I don't expect it to be a hot runner. It'll probably provide mild performance at best, but hopefully it will prove to have reliable and effective throttling.

Upshot is, the world has YET to see a well-designed modern engine in the .049-.061 range that will provide good performance along with light weight, good throttling, and effective muffling. The Toki comes the closest I've seen.
digital_trucker

Postby digital_trucker » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Also, I note that according to the documentation it's slightly heavier than the Thunder Tiger .07...in addition to being more expensive.
digital_trucker

Postby digital_trucker » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I retract my earlier statement about the lack of pinch. Now that I have it broken down, I find that there is indeed a small amount of pinch right at TDC. No doubt that since the piston is aluminum and the liner is chromed brass the pinch would be more pronounced at running temperature.
digital_trucker

Return to MECOA engines Tech Questions