Tuned Pipe with Mecoa 46 Inboard

Ask your tech questions about MECOA engines here

Moderator: SteveM

Tuned Pipe with Mecoa 46 Inboard

Postby Green Jumper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi
I have 2 of these engines, one on a 32" sport mono and a second on a 32" sport hydro. I have tried using several different tuned pipes, Macs and others, .40 size to .60 size, with various lengths measured from the glow plug and have not been able to see any performance gains (i.e., could not get pipe to come on, etc.). The engines seemed to prefer .45 and larger pipes over the .40 size. Do you have any suggestions or has anyone had success using these engines with tuned pipes? They have good torque and are very economical to operate in my applications, running 6 oz. tanks in both boats with reasonable running time. I run 15% nitro fuel which works fine with my .67 and 7.5 K&B marine inboards with pipes.

Thanks
Green Jumper

Postby MECOA » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 am

You need to raise the exhaust port about .030" to get advantage from the pipe. Timing is mild.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby Green Jumper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi

Please clarify what I need to do: Should I open the exhaust port, cutting .030 up from top of port, cuttinh higher towards the head, essentially making the port taller?

Your assistance/guidance is appreciated.

These engines have been very durable and run well for my applications but would like to get more power from them if available.

Thanks

Art
Green Jumper

Postby MECOA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:51 am

Yes that is what you do. Be careful not to compromise the chrome plating by leaving a knife edge corner inside.
MECOA
Site Admin

Mecoa .46 Marine - Pipe

Postby Green Jumper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi

There - Thanks for the confirmation. I will give it a try.

Best Regards,

Art
Green Jumper

Mecoa inboard marine 46 tuned pipe

Postby Radioman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you MECOA for your earlier post regarding raising the exhaust port by 0.03 inch to help the engine come on pipe. I also have a mecoa 46 marine in a scale monohull. It's a great easy to use quality engine with the unique convenience of a pull start. I really would like to get the motor to come on pipe though, as I believe there is a lot more performance hidden in this engine. However I have to admit I do not have the skills to be able to port the liner. Is there any way MECOA can sell me a "ported piston and liner set"? I really like the convenience of the Mecoa 46 with pull start and front induction plus the side exhaust . I would be glad to pay for a performance piston an liner. Others might be interested too? Thanks guys and Happy New Year!
Radioman

Return to MECOA engines Tech Questions