HP 61 Gold Cup New vs. Old

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

HP 61 Gold Cup New vs. Old

Postby ModelBuilder » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:59 pm

Hello, I have 2 of the HP 61 Gold cups. The newer non ringed version with the slide carb with pump and an older (I assume) ringed with old style carb with the large dial idle needle type carb. Both NIB. Are they compatable in a twin? A cessna 336. I bought the 2nd for this twin project without considering the differences. Is the sliding carb with the accelerator pump that much better than the original carb? Thanks MB
ModelBuilder

Postby MECOA » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:55 pm

No. The newer one will put out more power and you will never get t he carbs to sync up.

Yes the slide carb is better.
MECOA
Site Admin

HP Slide carb

Postby ModelBuilder » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:22 am

I apppreciate the prompt reply. Can I assume that the slide carb may also be used on the ringed engine? Also, if I order a new carb what other odds and ends should I buy to have on hand for general use? O rings etc. Thanks, MB
ModelBuilder

Postby MECOA » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:41 pm

Having the same carbs may not make the engines run the same. The later Gold Cups had a 17mm crank. This will run much faster than the 15mm crank used in the early Gold Cups.

The carb is complete with o-rings. I can't really say what you should keep on hand.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions