HP .61

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

HP .61

Postby Rod Kuntz » Thu May 10, 2007 2:18 pm

I have a HP .61 that I recovered from an old helicopter; looks like it has never been run. It has Made in Austria on the side and serial number 01441 on one mounting flange. Also has a header pipe and super cool looking tuned pipe.

Engine body is black and head is gold (6 bolt).

carb is seized solid but will try to get it freed up with Kroil.

Any idea where to buy parts...need at least prop nut and washer (size?), and new glow plug (seems to be slightly smaller than my OS plugs), and may need to replace complete carb.

Any advice?
thanks
Rod Kuntz

Postby MECOA » Mon May 14, 2007 11:06 am

Did you look in our parts department?

http://www.mecoa.com/hp/61/hp61-parts.htm

we have everything in stock.
MECOA
Site Admin

HP .61 questions for parts

Postby Rod Kuntz » Tue May 15, 2007 8:07 am

I checked the parts list, but not sure if this is a GC or SS model.

It has black body and gold six-bolt head. Looks like I need a piston with ring as this one is seized solid to the con rod. So what parts would I need for the con rod, wrist pin and piston/ring assembly. Also appears to be a couple of little snap rings that fit in on each side of the wrist pin.

Finally, the header pipe seems to just slide on but don't know how it stays there, there are no holes drilled in the engine body for muffler.
Rod Kuntz

Postby MECOA » Sat May 19, 2007 9:29 am

The Gold Cups are black with Gold head and the Silver Star is shinny aluminum with a black head.

The Gold Cup cam in ABC or with a Dykes ring. The Silver star has a conventional ring.

A dykes type ring is "L" shaped and is located at the very top edge of the piston. A conventional ring is flat or square shaped and is located about 1/16" below the top edge of the piston.

Early HP Gold Cup and late Silver Star .61... Early Gold Cups have a smaller rear bearing, crankshaft and front housing with bearing I.D. measuring 15mm - .590"Ø. Use rear bearing, crankshaft and front housing for silver star if you have this older version. Late Silver Star .61 engines used larger 17mm - .670"Ø. rear bearing. If you have this version use Gold Cup parts.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions