HP 61 VT

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

HP 61 VT

Postby jcarducci » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:14 pm

I've been interested in this variation in the VT series for some while. Is there
any published specifications on it power / rpm vs the 49 for example? The 61 seems rare as hen's teeth here in the states. I'd like to own one just to have it. I've owned the 21 and 49 for years and have always been very pleased with them. I hope they continue to be produced for many years.

Any insights as to why the 61 VT wasn't continued? Few advantages over the 49? Low consumer interest? ??

Dare I ask if there ever have been or perhaps are any plans to produce a larger displacement more powerful version of this wonderful design? What about a water cooled version?

I'd really enjoy hearing from others who have experimented with any of the VT series.

Apologies if this isn't appropriate to this forum.

Jerry
jcarducci

Postby chiefss » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, the biggest reason is that HP doesn't exist anymore. They were bought out by mecoa. You'd have to ask Randy if he is going to make the 61 but I doubt it. Very expensive and no demand. Too much competition from all the Japanese and Chinese manufacturers.
chiefss

Postby SteveM » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:03 pm

I have a NIB HP VT61 that I've been hanging onto for years. Mine is the Austrian made version and I have never taken it out of the box. Very neat motor but i have no feedback to offer as mine is never run.
SteveM

Postby MECOA » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm

We probably won't make the VT.61 because the molds don't fit our die casting machine. The castings for the 25 and the 61 were made by a camera company in Austria.

And chiefss, yes HP does exist, we just happen to own it.

The main problem with the rotary valve is sealing. The larger the valve the more it is prone to heat distortion. If everything isn't perfect you will loose the seal. This is one reason we require 20% oil in the fuel for the VT's. The oil film makes it all possible.

HP actually had designed a VT .91 but never produced it. You probably wonder where the design came from. Ing. Leopold Habsburg designed it for HP.

Like rotary valves? Here you go guys...
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/P ... alveIC.htm
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby chiefss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Ah yes, but HP stood for Hirtenberger Patronen and THAT company does not exist anymore. So in reallity HP does not exist. Mecoa, that owns the rights to manufacture HP brand engines, does exist.

Maybe picky but true.
chiefss

Postby jcarducci » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Who is this then? http://www.hirtenberger.at/

I understood inly the Engine manufacturering section had been acquired, no?

Anyway I still want a 61 VT! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Jerry
jcarducci

Postby chiefss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 am

Just looked at the website link you showed. I think making amunition and artillary equipment is a bit different from making model airplane engines. Probably a bit more profitable.
chiefss

Postby jcarducci » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 pm

chiefss wrote:Just looked at the website link you showed. I think making amunition and artillary equipment is a bit different from making model airplane engines. Probably a bit more profitable.

The point was that HP still exists contrary to the earlier statement
"..... HP doesn't exist anymore. "

Jerry
jcarducci

Postby chiefss » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

Let's see you buy a model airplane engine from HP. The original poster wanted an HP 61 not tank ammuntion. He isn't going to get one from HP. Ergo the HP engine manufacturing company no longer exists.
chiefss

Postby jcarducci » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Whooooa hold on there. I am the original poster. I'm new here so I don't know who from whom and I won't get into any arguments over semantics.

I think we can all just agree that HP- the model engine manufacturing arm isn't part of HP group any longer. I understood that going into this post.

Jerry
jcarducci

Postby MECOA » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 am

The original HP still exists in Austria, but we own the engines.

read this
http://www.mecoa.com/hp/history.htm

Stop this kind of stuff chiefss, please.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby chiefss » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 am

OK, sorry. I'm a nitpicker.
chiefss

HP VT 49

Postby rockindaddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I flew a .25 2-stroke size biplane for 3 years with an HP VT49 till a malfunctioning JR Transmitter elevator function quit and the biplane went in. Managed to salvage most of the plane except the wings. The motor needed a new needle assy. and a prop. Used a 12-7 APC that gave the best performance. The motor was used and had plenty of time on it when I bought it through an Indy RC list sale. Alot of home-made methanol-Klotz/castor fuel has gone through this little HP VT 49 motor since then. Just bought a new piston ring for it and will reseat the valves and install the new piston ring this winter. These are teriffic little four stroke motors. Always wanted a 61 or a 90 size HP VT four stroke.
Maybe a good tool maker could modify the dies so Mecoa could produce the larger size four stroke motors??? The design of the motor is one of the best ever invented!!!!!
rockindaddy

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions