Cant Start VT21

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

Cant Start VT21

Postby ohaley » Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 pm

I just got a new vt21, set it up per instructions, using sig 10% nitro and 25% castor for break-in. Using a Fox Gold Series Standard Long Plug and then a Super Tigre Plug. Does not even think about starting, just spinning with the starter with no sign of even wanting to start. Any suggestions, almost ready to send it in for exchange. Thanks for anything anybody can suggest.
Mike
ohaley

Postby MECOA » Sun May 31, 2009 12:50 pm

this was answered by email and here it is

====================
Are you using an electric starter? Which way is the engine mounted?
====================
Engine is mounted upright on a test stand. Using an electric hand starter, sullivan. Looking at shaft end of engine it is turning counter clock wise.
====================
Open the throttle to full open and try it. They like to start kinda wet.
====================
I will try your suggestion tomorrow but if nothing happens I think I should send it in for replacement.
====================
Did you take the valve cover off? If you did it could be out of time. Easy to fix. Just let me know. I don't want to waste your or our time if it's something simple. http://www.mecoa.com/faq/vt/timing.htm

If we get it back I will check the timing (without taking it apart), check the glow plug hole for use of incorrect plug, and start it in our test stand with a Monkey emailed to you of it running. Confident, aren't I?

It is of the utmost importance that a 4 stroke or any plug with a protrusion has not been installed at any time. There is a tell tail sign of this and it is a common mistake.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions