HB 25 R/C liner is in wrong on new engine.

HB , Helmet Burnhard, engines, Made in Germany. Owned by RJL Industries since 1989.

Moderator: SteveM

HB 25 R/C liner is in wrong on new engine.

Postby PaulGibeault » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:39 pm

Gentlemen:

I have a NIB HB 25 r/c w/ ring & steel liner from an estate. A quick look in the exhaust port showed that the cyl. liner was rotated ~90 degrees off!

Normally , not a problem. I removed the head, etc. then heated the case w/ a propane torch & it raised itself ~ 3/32" then STOPPED!!
I then put the c/case w/ sleeve only in a 350 degree oven.
STILL...the liner will not budge any further. With the assy hot I attempted to spray aerosol "supercold" on the liner hoping to shrink it .
NO joy. I put a 3/32" hardwood dowel in the port & try to push out the liner with the piston by turning the crankshaft. OR w/ piston out, tried to push out the liner with a hardwood stick from the bottom. Still no luck....
I would be pleased if you have ANY suggestions. THANK-YOU!!

Paul Gibeault
PaulGibeault

Postby MECOA » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:37 am

It probably had damage in one of the ports from someone trying to move it with a screw driver or something. If you can rotate the sleeve back and down to where it originally was maybe you can see where the damage is and fix it.

You can make a puller using a long bolt and a tube. Find a tube that is bigger than the flange on the sleeve. Cut it to about 2 inches. Get a washer bigger than the tube. Now find a washer slightly smaller than the sleeve diameter that fits into the case. Put the small washer and nut at the bottom of the sleeve and the tube, big washer and bolt on the top of the sleeve/crankcase. Screw together and the sleeve will be pulled out into the tube.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to HB (German) engines Tech Questions