40 PDP Fix Or Not?

HB , Helmet Burnhard, engines, Made in Germany. Owned by RJL Industries since 1989.

Moderator: SteveM

40 PDP Fix Or Not?

Postby Redwulf__34 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a late model HB .40 PDP that won't run. It was the absolute best engine I ever had. I quit flying about 20-25 years ago and it ran great the last time it ran. I got it out a few months ago and found it wouldnt' start.

The problem seems to be compression. I know the PDP with dykes rings etc don't have much compression but this one seems to have lost it all. I don't feel any thump at all when I flip it. Also, when I try to "choke" it there isnt' enough compression to pull fuel into the carb.

The question is is it worth fixing? Would it be as simple as a new ring? Or would I need to replace the ring, piston, and sleeve? I've seen a few used 61 PDPs on Ebay selling for about what it would cost me to fix this buying these three parts.

Or am I missing something? Could it be something else?

Thanks,
Sean
Redwulf__34

Postby MECOA » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

MECOA
Site Admin

Postby Redwulf__34 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Would love to see some pictures of the gummed piston. I have taken very good care of this engine. She was never run lean etc. I've looked the piston over to a small degree and she seems good. I had been thinking all along it was a stuck ring. I think thats the problem. I'll keep an eye on the FAQ for pictures. I've never torn into an engine that far. But I think that it's my problem.
Redwulf__34

Postby MECOA » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 am

The piston/ring would look fine. The ring would be stuck in the groove. The ring must be free moving in the groove. A picture wouldn't show you that it was stuck.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to HB (German) engines Tech Questions