RJL Forster 99 two speed casting flaw in crankcase?

Questions about: Anderson Spitfire, Edco Sky Devil, Hassad Blue Streak, Cunningham .647, Holland Hornet .049, Atwood .049, Forster, DEW/Kustom, and Remco only. These brands are owned by RJL Industries. Post Questions for other brands in Engine Talk above.

Moderator: SteveM

RJL Forster 99 two speed casting flaw in crankcase?

Postby Paul Ironmonger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi, I have a RJL Foster 99 two speed engine and have noticed what seems to be a casting flaw below the name badge on the protrusion on the side of the crankcase, it looks like it spreads down to the flange area. It is definitely cast into the crankcase and it also looks like a crack tails off of the casting defect. Is this normal as I have seen marks on other Forster 99 engines in the same place. The casting looks to have been cleaned up in this area during manufacture. Should I be worried about this or is this normal for this engine.
It has had about 5 minutes of run time only.
Any advice would be great. I have put a Monkey up on YouTube showing the area of concern, Monkey is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jja-fMfjI8&feature=plcp

If you view the Monkey you will see exactly what I mean. The engine has only flown once and has never been crashed or knocked about. Just sat for many years idle in an airframe.
Many thanks, best regards, Paul (UK).
Paul Ironmonger

Monkey?

Postby Paul Ironmonger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Why when I typed Monkey does it show up as monkey on my post? how strange!
Paul Ironmonger

Postby Paul Ironmonger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:40 pm

OK then, lets try watch the footage at the YouTube address given as a certain word I type for ''footage changes to monkey when I post it on the forum. Thought I was going more insane than normal! :shock:
Paul Ironmonger

Postby MECOA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Sometimes cold flow marks may look like this. I don't think it is cause for concern.
MECOA
Site Admin

Return to RJL Vintage Engines Tech Questions