O.S.Max H-.40 RR ???

An open forum for questions on any control line glow engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

O.S.Max H-.40 RR ???

Postby tomporsche » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Folks, I have a few questions about an old Max engine that I have had for years. A H.40 RR.
I bought this many years ago to use on a C free flight ship that never got built. Did the RR mean Rat Race ??
I thought it did. This thing is like new inside, has wonderful compression, turns over freely. Were they good RR motors? I know O.S. always made high quality stuff, but, was this a strong runner. say like a ST. 40. or a Fox Combat special ? I am considering building that C gas ship, and using this engine, now that I am retired and have the time. Would this be a ghood choice. Were they competitive in their day?
Or I just might sell it. Not sure. If you will give me the lowdown. It is a long time since I acquired it, and I'm guessing it was made in the 70s'
I still have the box and instructions for the R/C version in the box.
Thanks. Tom
tomporsche

rr .40 OS

Postby lfinney » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:16 am

hi

this motor was used as a freeflight, pylon, and marine contest engine,unless abuse they were very reliable, and were competitive in free flight and ratrace, pylon was owned by ST and K&B
lfinney

Postby tomporsche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for the reply.
I'm happy to hear that it was a competitive engine in Rat Race.
I would think it would be OK on pressure, or a bladder for C free flight.

It is kind of heavy by todays standard, but as I remember OS engines in general were easy to start, and dead reliable.

Any idea about what fuel to use?
How much nitro/oil?

I have had a few inquiries about selling it, and I really don't have a clue what it might be worth.

If it is worth less than $100.00, I may as well keep it for my own use,
as I couldn't replace it with ANY modern .40 for less than that.
On the other hand, If an OS collector was interested in it,
I might sell it or swap.

Again thanks for your reply.
Tom Hartman

If you prefer to reply away from the forum,
my e-mail address is:
thart9146@comcast.net
tomporsche

Postby chiefss » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:17 pm

It was a Rat Race engine. It came out in 1965. The upper left backplate screw was a pressure fitting. Rat Race was big in the 60's and the max engine size was 40. I used Johnsons when I flew Rat. Usually a 36BB but I did use a 29R.

The Johnsons were always one flip starters, hot or cold, and in Rat Race that was everything.

I always ran 15% nitro and 20%castor oil in those days. Still do actually. Some guys ran higher nitro and Fox Blast was a fuel some guys used. It was 50% nitro. Made the engine needle more touchy and they wore out a lot faster. Also was harder than heck on the rod. You could make up the small lack of speed using lower content fuel by having a good pit crew and being a better flyer.
chiefss

Postby tomporsche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it,
I think I will hang on to it,

Tom
tomporsche

Postby loucrane » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Tom,

Fuel usually depends on the metals in the cylinder and piston. Plain or BB shafts are quite a bit less critical...

ABC/ABC/AAC engines are usually cut so that they have ideal clearances at running temperatures, so the 10%-10% oil (castor-synthetic) fuels do well in them.

Oddly, high performance operation, like racing CL or FF, usually isn't as critical to oil or %. You run just enough rich so it doesn't blow up or weld shut, and that gives enough oil... Less load - has to be, or the RPM wouldn't be there - plays a part in this.

If yours is an iron piston in steel sleeve, it will probably run better and last longer with an all-castor oil portion, but at high RPM may not need more than a total oil % of 20%-22%. Castor doesn't burn inside the engine unless things are past the top of the hill. Synthetics burn at a critical few dozen degrees cooler. Summing that: Castor absorbs a lot of heat and carries it out the exhaust port; synthetics may burn, adding to heating, and not carry much - if any - heat out the door while it is open.

In any event, you have a pretty special engine. Parts may not be easy to find, so be as gentle as needed to keep it going for you for a good long time. It was designed to work hard, so gentle does not mean pussy-footing!
loucrane

O.S. Max .40 RR

Postby tomporsche » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:57 am

Thanks for the valuable info on fuel for my Max 40 RR.
It is a really sweet engine. I haven't run it in years, and in fact it wasn't run much past break in [if that much].
Should I use it in a C free flight ???
Or sell it,,and give it a good home.
Your opinion.
Thanks, Tom
tomporsche

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:35 am

Fly it! That's where it deserves to be !!
Jim

Postby chiefss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Go ahead and fly it but remember if you prang it, parts are very hard, if not impossible, to find. It's probably worth more as a collectable. I'd buy it if the price was right. It would sit on a shelf in a place of honor with all it's brothers and sisters
chiefss

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 pm

As a freeflighter - I'd fly it !!
Jim

Re: O.S.Max H-.40 RR ??? I sold it

Postby tomporsche » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am

I sold it to a fellow in England.
Thanks. Tom[/quote]
tomporsche

bb

Postby domain » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:24 pm

I'd like to say something about the roaming sims, provided by our mobile roaming provider, who sells travel sims and mobiler roaming sim cards. All my colleagues know, that when I'm travelling, I'm using Cellular roaming and available on another nubmer, which is povided by a Mobile roaming operator. I use mobile roaming when I'm abroad to make calls and tranfer data. Data roaming is another very important feature. I'm using data roaming sims on my Spam Word to have internet in roaming. Also, using a travel sim makes it easier to reduce Mobile Roaming Charges on Cellular roaming.
domain

Return to Control Line Glow Engines