HP 120 Twin guestions

HP engines (Hirtenberger, AG Austria) tech support. Owned by RJL Industries since 1990

Moderator: SteveM

HP 120 Twin guestions

Postby RPM Nut » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi MECOA , thank you for letting me join your forum,

I am serous thinking about buying one of your HP 120 Inline Twin's (ABC with Heat Sink Heads), a few weeks ago I talked about it with some one on the phone from your shop, but I have a few more questions to ask,

1) in stock form what is the maximum Nitro percentage I can run in it ?

2) I see it utilizes "Bolt on Muffler" mounting, please tell me the Center to Center Bolt measurements, and the Thread Size ? and please tell me the inside measurements of the Exhaust Port Casting on it's cylinders (not the Liner) ?

3) I will be putting it in a P-40 Warhawk, I am worried about cooling, so I plain to order it with the Heat Sink Heads. the Air Intake on my Cowl is "half-circle shaped", it measures 2&5/8" Wide by 1&1/16 High", do you feel this is a large enough opening to cool the Twin ?

4) with the Heat Sink Heads can you give me the measurement from Crank Center to the top of the Heat Sink Heads ?

5) because it's a P-40 I have to mount the engine upside down, so can I order the engine with the Carburetor mounted on the side or on the bottom of the engine ?,, this would allow for an easer Throttle hook up, easier maintenance, and help get cooler Air to the Carburetor,

6) can you give me the measurement from the back of the engine to the front of the Prop Driver ?

7) as I said I plain to mount it upside down, do you have any idea if the Bisson Pitts Muffler will fit over the Heat Sink Heads ?

Thank you MECOA

Jim
RPM Nut

Re: HP 120 Twin guestions

Postby MECOA » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am

this is a test post.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby MECOA » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am

1) in stock form what is the maximum Nitro percentage I can run in it ?

5 - 10% Nitro , 18-20% oil 50/50 castor

2) I see it utilizes "Bolt on Muffler" mounting, please tell me the Center to Center Bolt measurements, and the Thread Size ? and please tell me the inside measurements of the Exhaust Port Casting on it's cylinders (not the Liner) ?

4x.7m 35mm

3) I will be putting it in a P-40 Warhawk, I am worried about cooling, so I plain to order it with the Heat Sink Heads. the Air Intake on my Cowl is "half-circle shaped", it measures 2&5/8" Wide by 1&1/16 High", do you feel this is a large enough opening to cool the Twin ?

As long as you have a good exit that's slightly bigger

4) with the Heat Sink Heads can you give me the measurement from Crank Center to the top of the Heat Sink Heads ?

100mm

5) because it's a P-40 I have to mount the engine upside down, so can I order the engine with the Carburetor mounted on the side or on the bottom of the engine ?,, this would allow for an easer Throttle hook up, easier maintenance, and help get cooler Air to the Carburetor,

Carburetor position can not be changed.

6) can you give me the measurement from the back of the engine to the front of the Prop Driver ? 162mm

7) as I said I plain to mount it upside down, do you have any idea if the Bisson Pitts Muffler will fit over the Heat Sink Heads ?

Over the heat sink? Sorry I don't know, but you want the muffler on the lower side of the engine.
MECOA
Site Admin

Postby RPM Nut » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:45 am

quote from MECOA>
but you want the muffler on the lower side of the engine.

1) are you telling me that the 120 Inline can not be mounted upside down ? I have to mount it upside down in my P-40, so therefor the Bisson Pitts "Chambers" will be under the Heads.

2) what is the recommended Oil Mix if I buy the 120 as a Ringed engine ?

3) can you set the Shim Clearance for me so I can run a higher Nitro percentage ?

thank you MECOA
Jim
RPM Nut

Return to HP (Austrian) engines Tech Questions