Crank removial on a Cox 049

An open forum for questions on any control line glow engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Crank removial on a Cox 049

Postby Tim Hulse » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm

I am fooling around with Cox 049 engines and in cleaning one I decided to take it apart, I got it broken down to the crank case and crank but don't know how to get the crank out of the case, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tim Hulse

Postby gossie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:52 am

With the cylinder off the 'case, the con. rod will come off the crankpin.
Take the back off, be it a Tee Dee or reed intake engine, then tap gently with something not too hard on the front of the crank with the screw in it, to 'break' away the prop. driver, and the crank. will slip out.
gossie

thanks

Postby Tim Hulse » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks gossie.

I tried to block the crank and turn the prop nut to no avail so I kinda figured it must be pressed on or something. I will give that a try, thanks again for the feedback.
Tim Hulse

Postby walt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Also, heating to around 200º before you attempt to tap it loose may assist in the process.
walt

Postby gossie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Don't heat it with a torch though. Put it in the oven you cook in, if need be, but in playing with Cox for about 40 years I find the driver just 'cracks' off with a hit on the front of the shaft.

They then go back on tight next time you put a prop. on tight.
gossie

cox crankshaft

Postby fnhaddo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 pm

It is pressed on and very easy to get off. Put the prop screw in the shaft, put the whole thing in a vice with a piece of wood at the back of the case between the case and vice jaw and slowly close the vice. It will press the shaft out of the drive washer without damaging anything. Don't heat a TD you can distort the plastic front end.
fnhaddo

Return to Control Line Glow Engines